Friday, September 3, 2010

Slow, Sluggish, and Scared!

The knockout from the 10K persists!  Being the workaholic that I am, I was still going to work and trying to keep up with all of my homemaker duties.  But when my fever reached 101.2 degrees, Hubby made an executive decision and put me on the couch.  So for the past week, I have been getting up, working, returning from work to my place on the couch in front of the TV.  I have watched more TV than ever.  Too Fat for Fifteen, Jersey Shore, Keeping up with the Kardashians, Real Housewives (DC AND JERSEY)…you name it, I’ve seen it!  Quiz me on my pop culture, I know it all!  I could write Joel McHale’s jokes for the Soup…I’m that ready!  I’m like a walking US Weekly encyclopedia!

This morning I was so excited to go to my doctor to get some real medicine. You know you are really sick when you are EXCITED to go to the doctor! And you aren’t working on a Friday! The Dayquil and Nightquil combos were not enough to beat whatever this is and it was time for some real meds!  Another clue to help you realize that you are in fact really sick is if you exit the house in a purple t-shirt, navy shorts, and lime-green flip-flops and you don’t even notice it.  It took me about ten minutes in the waiting room to realize that I was a walking Gay Pride Billboard.  I had to laugh.  I am all about Gay Pride (everyone should be allowed to love anyone I think), but this outfit would have had me on Joan River’s worst list for sure!  And I know the Gays would hate it!  Hubby of course, didn’t even notice!

I was feeling pretty bad about myself, thinking of all the bad food I’ve had and the no exercise (and my horrendous style as of late)…Hubby is an amazing help, but he’s not exactly health-conscious.  He turns his nose up at all of my low-fat labels in the fridge.  Many times in the grocery store he’ll plead with me, “can’t we just get the regular strength.  Just this once?”  Ha-ha.

But my doctor was very reassuring.  He told me that the average person burns 2,000 calories a day.  A sick person burns 6,000-10,000 calories each day, as the body works to fight the sickness. Whoa!  Who knew??  He told me that I should definitely be resting and NOT pushing it.  Still, the (half) marathon NEXT SUNDAY and all I can think is, what if we can’t finish?  We have to finish!  We’ve been training for 2+ months for this!  I am going to try in three days to jog a light 2-3 miles, to get loose.  I’m going to keep the mileage light this upcoming week, and hope (and pray) for the best on Sunday.  Please blogworld – pray for me! 

Here’s hoping I’m back in action soon!  Forgive my picture-less post, I’m too groggy from my new strong meds to add any!  Who takes care of you when you are sick?

Thanks, Hubby!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to see you posting again, Jenny! So sorry you were sick. That's not good, but rest is def. the best medicine! I had no idea about the calorie-burning, but good to know. The key is not to feel bad about eating poorly, remember it's not your lifestyle, just a day, week etc. I don't feel as bad as I probably should for indulging in fried oreos (I did share ...) and spicy chicken nuggets and breakfast pizza. :-) My hubby is not as low-fat, low-cal, healthy conscience either. We have a lot in common it seems! Luckily, I'm not the one usually sick, but if I am (my birthday last year I had a pinched nerve in my neck and that was the WORSE I've ever had to deal with that I can think of. My hubby was good to help me with that. It was so miserable.) A half marathon! I had no idea! That's awesome, I'm sure you will do well. Just be proud that you are even attempting--that's a lot more than most people--like me ... :-) It's all a big progress, this thing we call life. I'll stop commenting now :-) No pictures? Forgiven. I do that a lot :-(

    ReplyDelete