Monday, September 6, 2010

Paint and Parm

This holiday weekend was a busy one!  We are FINALLY painting our house!  It’s new construction so up until this point we have had nothing but ugly (and cheap) white builder’s primer.  Yuck!  But we had to wait for the house to settle, then the builders to come back and fix those nasty nail pops.  That finally happened last week so Super Hubby (as I like to think of him these days) hopped right to….we were at Lowe’s Friday night and he already started that night!  He finished half of the downstairs by Saturday night and a few swear words and more than a few beers later…was sick of painting.  Poor Hub!

BEFORE (Boring White)

AFTER Sky Blue with a Dark Blue/Gray Accent Wall (won't rotate image grr)


Hubby did the blue side of the house :)  It's a blue sitting room and dining room.  The back dining room wall is a cool (I think) darker blue accent wall.  The room looks silly because the other side of the house's (kitchen and living room) belongings are all crammed in there while they work on those rooms!  Anyway, Hub took a day off and recruited my Ultimate Hero, my dad, and my younger brother to join in the fun.  They have booted me out and reduced my role to beer refilling and pizza ordering (fine by me!) and are almost finished the downstairs!  Hooray!  The remaining projects include: painting the powder room, painting the foyer, painting the hallway and steps, painting the upstairs.  Still a hefty list but I have faith in my crew!  It sounds like not much was done, but that is NOT the case! 

Check out that Tuscan Yellow...

And the wine inspired kitchen accents...
Bass Ale = Painters' Beer of Choice :)

Last night required a quick, comfort-food of a dinner to nourish my weary Hubby.  I skipped using a new RR meal and went to the trusty chicken parmesan (served with whole wheat penne). Yum!  What took this typical 7 or 8 ranked dish up to a 10 was Hubby’s homemade sauce!  Double Yum!

Chicken Parmesan & Penne


A co-worker gave him a HUGE box of tomatoes, so last week Hubby spent all night making his famous “Roman Marinara”…I would offer you the recipe, but he’d kill me!  (But I will work on him for you, Blog Friends!)  Let me know if you want me to bug him!


How do you spend summer holiday weekends?  As we celebrate the last one, I’m thinking back to all the other great summer 3-day weekends, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc….we tend to do one function (picnic/BBQ) and fill the rest with house projects. 

What is your go-to always easy, always tasty meal?
HAPPY LABOR DAY!

1 comment:

  1. I love 3-day weekends. I loathe painting. But I think I already told you that. The sauce looks amazing. If you don't have to pester him too much, I would LOVE to know about it. I can localize it, give him credit and write about it on Examiner!!!! :-) Not much of an offer ... but I tried. Easy go to meal ... cereal, nut butter and jelly sandwiches, fat free turkey hot dogs, macaroni and tomatoes. OK most of the stuff I make every day. Ha Ha I wish I felt like I had time to experiment more, but I will, I promise. Looks delish! The house looks great too! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete